International VDI Conference - Future of Buses Autonomous & Electric Buses
- Exchange ideas, discuss new concepts and engage with the challenges the bus industry will need to overcome when faced with developments in e-mobility and automation
- Learn about the hurdles in electrifying a transport system and managing large e-bus fleets and discuss the impact on urban bus networks & city authorities
- Get insights from international best practice examples of autonomous bus projects and find inspiration in new business models and mobility solutions
- Take your chance and exchange expertise in our interactive sessions with other professionals from a wide variety of fields in and around buses, e-mobility and autonomous vehicles and profit from extensive networking opportunities during the breaks and at the evening reception
- With 1 conference ticket you get admission to 3 international conferences on “Autonomous & Electric Buses”, “Smart Cars & Urban Mobility” and “Charging Infrastructure for Electromobility”
The VDI Future of Buses conference is designed to focus on how the bus sector can adapt to changing environments in transport and urban mobility. Specifically, the transition towards e-bus fleets, connected autonomous buses and advanced bus technologies will be discussed and we will put into context how the new smart urban mobility environment is affecting the bus industry.
Free of charge whitepaper download
Electric Buses in Cologne
A new Age of Public Transport?!
This event will look at the big picture: You will discuss the strategic needs of operators and manufacturers and the impact autonomous and electric buses will have on cities, local authorities and infrastructure as well as the corresponding technical developments towards full autonomy and connectivity. The conference is the ideal place to get an overview of the rapid changes taking place in the industry and to discuss new challenges, ideas and concepts.
Things are moving fast in the bus sector - developments in autonomous and connected bus technologies as well as the roll out of large e-bus fleets in smart, connected cities are calling for a new generation of urban bus systems. Systems, that have to be developed, tested and operated by means of vehicle technologies and infrastructure, fundamentally changing the way the industry works. It is clear that the bus sector will need to adapt to these changes as well as to disruptions coming from new mobility and technology providers, increasing data availability and multimodal transport services.
With every challenge comes opportunity: Rethinking traditional public transport concepts and discussing new ideas and approaches will give the industry more impetus and prepare it for the future, turning competitive forces coming from disruptive mobility and technology providers into opportunities for a new age of public transport. At the VDI Future of Buses conference, you’ll have the opportunity to discuss these topics with experts from all important stakeholders in the bus sector and learn about the redefined, but still important role buses still play in a constantly changing mobility and public transport landscape.
Conference Topics & Agenda
The main topics of the conference include:
Roll-Out and Management of E-Bus Fleets
- Impact on Urban Bus Networks, City Authorities & Governance
- Procurement Initiatives & Contracting
Electrifying the Transportation System
- Electrification of Urban Bus Networks
- Integrated Electric Bus Systems & Asset Management
- Battery Development, Charging Technologies & Infrastructure
Autonomous Buses as Part of the Urban Transport Strategy
- Integration with the traditional System
- Autonomous Mobility & New Business Models
- Mobility as a Service vs. Public Transport: Competition or Supplement?
- International Best Practice Examples of Autonomous Bus Projects
The Future of Intelligent Buses: Connectivity & Digitalization
- Connectivity: Effectively connecting Buses with infrastructure & surroundings
- New Service Concepts and Customer Experience
- Maintenance & Digitalization of Autonomous Buses
The agenda will boast of presentations given by internationally renowned experts and has been put together with the help of our conference chair Arno Kerkhof, Head of the Bus Devision at UITP (International Association of Public Transport) and our Supporting Experts:
- Dr. Gerhard Nowak, Partner/Vice President, PwC Strategy& GmbH
- Dr.-Ing. Rainer Witzig, Head of Product Strategy Bus, MAN Truck & Bus AG
Program of the Conference
Registration & Welcome Coffee
Chair’s Welcome and Opening Address
Arno Kerkhof, Head of Bus Division, UITP, Belgium
I. Policy Framework, Roll-Out and Management of E-Bus Fleets
Implementation and Operation of Europe’s biggest Electric Bus Fleet
Ard Romers, Managing Director, VDL Bus & Coach, and Eric van Eijndhoven, Chief Commercial Officer, Transdev, both: The Netherlands
Electrification of entire Bus Fleets – Which Technology Bus Operators really demand
Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Rogge, Managing Director, co-author: Dipl.-Ing. Philipp Sinhuber, both: ebusplan GmbH, Germany
Networking & Coffee Break
The Bus in the Age of shared Mobility, Mobility Platforms and Vehicle Automation
Dr. Tom Voege, Policy Analyst, International Transport Forum, OECD, France
Zero-Emission urban Buses: Policy Framework and Climate Opportunities
James Nix, Director Freight and Climate, co-author: Lucien Mathieu, Transport & E-Mobility Analyst, both: Transport & Environment (T&E), Belgium
Panel Discussion: Policy Making for the Urban Transport System - Priorities, Opportunities and Legacy Infrastructure
Moderator: Prof. Aristotelis Naniopoulos, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Panelists: Dr. Tom Voege, Policy Analyst, International Transport Forum, OECD Lucien Mathieu, Transport & E-Mobility Analyst, Transport & Environment (T&E)
II. Electrifying the Transportation System
How to effectively scale your electric Operation with Data-Insights
Freek Dielissen, CEO, ViriCiti, The Netherlands
The Future of E-Bus Mobility in the City of Cologne
Dipl.-Ing. Jörn Schwarze, Member of the Executive Board, Kölner Verkehrs-Betriebe AG, Germany
Networking & Coffee Break
Total Solution for Green Transportation
Patrick Oosterveld, Deputy Sales Director, BYD Europe, The Netherlands
End of Conference Day One
III. Autonomous Buses as Part of the Urban Transport Strategy
Getting autonomous driven Buses in Public Transport from Idea to Operation
Dirk Weißer, Head of Research, INIT GmbH, Germany and Anders Ställberg, Project Manager Autonomous Transport Solutions, Scania CV AB, Sweden
Autonomous Minibuses: The Future of Public Transport?
Renske Martijnse-Hartikka M.Sc., European Project Coordinator for Smart Mobility and Automated Driving, Forum Virium, Finland
Netwrking & Coffee Break
Autonomous Driving as an Extension of Public Transport
Chris Büttner, MSc., Project Lead Autonomous Driving, ioki - Inspiring Smart Mobility, Germany
Panel Discussion: Can the Bus Sector adopt to the new Age of (Public) Transport?
Moderator: Dr. Gerhard Nowak, Partner/Vice President, PwC Strategy& GmbH
IV. The Future of intelligent Buses: Business Models, Connectivity & Digitalization
A collective Brain for driverless autonomous Shuttles
Raphael Gindrat, CEO and Co-Founder, Bestmile, Switzerland
Autonomous Fleet Management — The invisible, yet Key Component of autonomous Vehicles Operations
Pejvan Beigui, CTO, Easymile, France
High-capacity automated Transit Systems: Platooning of automated People Movers
Jeroen Ploeg, PhD, Lead Cooperative Driving, co-authors: Redmer de Haan, MSc and Andrei Gherghescu, MSc, all: 2getthere, The Netherlands
Networking & Coffee Break
Disrupting Mobility in the Mid- and Long Distance Segment
(Speaker to be announced)
Conference Chair‘s closing remarks
End of Conference
If you have any questions regarding the conference program or you want to become a speaker, please contact Leonie Bohnstedt.
Who should attend?
This conference will be of interest to professionals, management, experts and specialists working in strategy, operations, development or engineering in the following areas:
- Bus Manufacturing Industry & Shuttle OEMs
- Autonomous Mobility Solutions / E-mobility / New Mobility
- Major Suppliers and Software Providers
- Operators, Bus Company Owners & Fleet Management Service Suppliers
- Public Transit Authorities
- Consultancies and Research
- Start Ups
This event would is also of interest to Charging Infrastructure Suppliers, Battery Manufacturers and Energy Suppliers.
The Framework Program – 3 Conferences for the Price of 1
As a participant of the “Future of Buses” conference you will be able to attend the parallel international VDI conferences “Smart Cars & Urban Mobility” and “Charging Infrastructure for Electromobility” at no additional cost. The joint evening event on the first day of the conference is a perfect opportunity to establish new contacts and offers excellent networking opportunities. Attendants and presenters from all three conferences will come together in a relaxed environment with food and drinks.
Also don’t miss to attend our one of our three international Workshops, taking place the day before the conference and profit from an attractive package price:
- “Designing the City of Tomorrow – Shaping a Smart City Scenario”: Explore the construct of a smart City from an inside perspective
- "3rd Gen Blockchain Technologies": Learn everything you need to know about IOTA and Blockchain Technology
- "Cyber Security in Public Transport": Get an overview on public known cyber security issues gain insight on the motivation of hackers and what they might possible do
You want to engage with international experts from the bus sector in Amsterdam, a global leader in urban mobility? You would like to learn about new developments in autonomous and electric buses and their impact? You want to discuss your questions about how connectivity, fleet management, operations and bus use will change? You’re interested in how the entire strategic picture will develop for bus manufacturers, suppliers, operators and users? Then book your space at the VDI Future of Buses: Autonomous & Electric Buses conference now.
If you are a startup or public funded / state owned enterprise you might qualify for a special discounted rate. Please contact us directly.
Become an exhibitor or sponsor
A limited number of rooms has been reserved for the benefit of the conference participants at the conference venue. Please use the reference "181127VDIW" when booking your room by phone (+31 20 655 3131) or e-mail.
Are you missing something?
Do you need more information about this event? Then please feel free to send us a message.Write a message