Bridges - Challenges of Planning, Design & Construction
The international VDI Bridges – Challenges of Planning, Design and Construction conference in Rotterdam is the central industry meeting point for the leading players in the bridge construction industry. Here you’ll find out firsthand about the developments and trends that will shape the future of bridge construction. Practical reports of international bridge project will present country-specific challenges and how to overcome them successfully.
Focus areas: digitalization and international bridge projects
The careful construction of bridges and their maintenance is clearly very important, as demonstrated recently by the collapse of the Morandi Bridge in Genoa. That’s why this VDI conference is concerned not just with the traditional challenges to be faced in bridge-building, but also new risks and opportunities that come from increasing digitalization. Themes such as building information modeling (BIM), big data and ‘self-monitoring bridges’, which provide additional safety, will be covered here.
In addition to the use of new technologies, such as drones for bridge inspection, for example, the VDI Bridges – Challenges of Planning, Design and Construction conference will also look at the benefits and disadvantages of new construction materials and the special challenges presented by lightweight bridges. In the process, several practical examples from leading international companies will offer valuable orientation for the realization of your own bridge projects.
- Engage in an exchange with international key players in the bridge construction industry and find out how they see the future of the business.
- Profit from presentations about groundbreaking bridge projects from around the world.
- Use the networking sessions, such as the World Cafés and the exclusive evening get-together to expand your professional network on an international level.
Main Themes of the Conference
You’ll hear presentations about the following themes at the VDI Bridges – Challenges of Planning, Design and Construction conference:
The Future of Planning Bridges
- Building Information Modeling
- Management and life cycle‐cost analysis
- Integral parametric design
- Sustainability – Green bridges & durable design
- Conceptual design
Challenges in Bridge Construction
- Lessons learned from collapsed bridges & challenging projects
- Dynamics (earthquake, wind, impact, and vibration control)
- Working under difficult conditions (ongoing traffic, environmental challenges, etc.)
- Outstanding projects – The biggest and most durable bridges
Innovation & New Technologies
- Self-monitoring bridges
- 3D print & pre-construction – What is already possible?
- Drones for inspection
- New technologies & data management
The Value of Materials
- Building with fiber reinforced plastic
- Using high strength steel & ultra-high performance concrete
- The future of bridge materials
- Lightweight bridges
The Importance of Maintenance
- Load characteristics
- Smart & safe ways of monitoring/inspecting your bridges
- Inspection, evaluation and SHM (Structural Health Monitoring)
- Hidden risks
We are currently preparing the final program for you. You will soon be able to download it here.
Who should take part in the international VDI “Bridges” conference
This conference is aimed at professionals and management in all areas of bridge construction. The target audience includes, amongst others:
- Building authorities and officials in the areas of bridges, transport and road construction
- Construction companies
- Structure operators and owners
- Engineering companies
- Construction material manufacturers
- Planning offices
International presenters and renowned supporting experts
The program of the Bridges – Challenges of Planning, Design and Construction conference is specifically designed for the needs of the industry. It was created with the help of experienced supporting experts. They include Rüdiger Schidzig, Director of SZG GmbH, Mike Schlaich, Professor at the Technical University of Berlin and Partner at “schlaich bergmann partner“ as well as Joris Smits, Lead Architect & Bridge Designer at Royal Haskoning DHV. The international presenters are from the Netherlands, Finland, India, Germany and the United Kingdom, amongst others.
Book your ticket now
You’d like to discuss the future of bridge construction with international experts? You want to learn about groundbreaking international projects and apply this knowledge to your own bridge projects? Then book your ticket now for the international VDI Bridges – Challenges of Planning, Design and Construction conference.
Become an exhibitor or sponsor
Are you missing something?
Do you need more information about this event? Then please feel free to send us a message.Write a message