Life cycle assessment (LCA) and end-of-waste evaluation of Metals and Minerals from waste
The international VDI Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and End-of-Waste Evaluation of Metals and Minerals from Waste workshop will show you how you can apply life cycle assessment methods to products derived from waste. You’ll find out which changes have come as a result of the new, EU-agreed recycling rules, as well as the new waste directives from May 2018. Furthermore, you’ll learn about which steps are necessary to receive end-of-waste status from metals and minerals derived from waste.
From waste to product
Life cycle assessment (LCA) was developed in Switzerland in 1984. It was applied for the first time for the “IP Abfall” project to assess the production of energy, metals and minerals from waste. Since then, this method has been continuously developed and is now one of the standard assessment tools to compare processes and products. It’s also an instrument to implement the EU strategy for the sustainable use of natural resources and waste recycling as part of new EU rules concerning circular economy.
During the VDI Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and End-of-Waste Evaluation of Metals and Minerals from Waste workshop, you will learn about and see how you can apply life cycle assessment methods. You’ll also find out about how metal waste achieves end-of-waste status, thus allowing it to be subject to product law once again. The workshop is based upon real-world examples and the entire afternoon is devoted to practical exercises, with the remaining time used to discuss the results.
The workshop takes place one day before the VDI Metals and Minerals from IBA conference. You can profit from a reduced combination price if you book the conference and workshop together.
Content of the workshop
The Life cycle Assessment (LCA) and End-of-Waste Evaluation of Metals and Minerals from Waste workshop will cover the following themes:
- Life cycle assessment applied to waste management, end-of-waste status, example: Swiss “IP Abfall”
- Overview: technology waste-to-energy/mechanical biological treatment (MBT) with balances, products, qualities, process, risks, state of the art
- Impact of EU-Circular-economy-package (May 2018): requirements for separate collection, electronic scrap, specifications and development of plastic recycling, determination of sample composition of waste for LCA
- Practical exercises: LVA, end-of-waste
- Evaluation of results and discussion
Who should take part?
The VDI Life cycle Assessment (LCA) and End-of-Waste Evaluation of Metals and Minerals from Waste workshop is aimed at professionals and management in the following areas:
- Operators of waste incinerators
- Public works
- Metal dealers
- Environmental services
- Building material associations
- Recycling services providers
- Copper producers
- Recycling companies
- Waste incinerators
- Landfill sites
3 experienced specialists run the workshop
The international VDI Life cycle Assessment (LCA) and End-of-Waste Evaluation of Metals and Minerals from Waste workshop is run by:
- Holger Alwast, Alwast Consulting, Deutschland, previously Prognos AG
- Udo Seiler, CEO, Schwaben-ING GmbH, Germany
- Reinhard Schu, EcoEnergy Gesellschaft für Energie- und Umwelttechnik mbH, Germany
You’d like to know how metals and minerals that stem from waste can be given product status again? You want to gain hands-on familiarity with the life cycle assessment method in a series of practical exercises? Then book your space at the international VDI Life cycle Assessment (LCA) and End-of-Waste Evaluation of Metals and Minerals from Waste workshop now.
Are you missing something?
Do you need more information about this event? Then please feel free to send us a message.Write a message